Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pac-Attack


Today Michael Pachter said some stuff about Nintendo. Here are some of my thoughts on his thoughts:

1. Sony lost lots of money over the last few years (sold their headquarters and layed off a ton of people) and Nintendo sold many more units than any other console with the Wii. Same leaders so it seems silly to say that Sony is well run and Nintendo isn't.


2. I kinda agree that Iwata seems a bit out of touch with what consumers want. But their unconventional approach has done really well for them in the past. Even if I'd prefer a more "core" games focus.

3. I don't think it's too late for the Wii U to recover but with their current support it seems unlikely. They would need to do much more, both internally and with third parties.


4. If Wii U doesn't make a pretty strong comeback I think he's right that EA is checked out.

5. Definitely should court 3rd parties. This is a must.


6. I don't think they should make smart phone games. Unless they want to kill off their systems. Right now their properties being exclusive is all that's keeping the Wii U (and to some extent the 3DS) viable.

Ultimately I think Nintendo is in a lot of trouble. The Wii U looks destined to be a dud. I'd like to see them make a 3DS style recovery but they haven't really shown any signs of that being on the horizon. I think price on the Wii U must drop because consumers view it as a technologically inferior device and so they don't view it as a value. It's library also leaves a lot to be desired but that will improve (albeit slowly) over time.

No comments: