Monday, November 18, 2013

My Time So Far With The 3DS

I got a 3DS XL over the weekend and I have been playing it quite a bit. Here are my thoughts on what I've played so far.
  1. Mario 3D Land – Amazing. Completed the main game in about 5 hours. The "Special Worlds" are very challenging and should keep me coming back to this one. It's like a new Galaxy game in the palm of your hand. Great 3D effects, there's just so much to like about this game. Big thumbs up. If I had one small quibble it would be that the music is nowhere near as good as the stuff in Galaxy but that's a small gripe in an otherwise outstanding game.
  2. Mario Kart 7 – Completed all the tracks on 50cc just to get a feel for the game and about half way through 100cc. I've gotta say this is another winner. I didn't really care for Mario Kart Wii and so I was kinda skeptical about this one but I think this may be the best in the series. Great new tracks and it includes a laundry list of my favorite classic tracks with updated graphics and small layout changes as well. I wish multiplayer wasn't such an expensive option in this game (4 3DSs and 4 Games) otherwise I pretty much love everything about it.

  3. New Super Mario Bros 2. - I'd say I've played about 2 hours so far. I'm enjoying it but not as much as 3D Land. I also really hate that it only saves after the castles. The coin collecting gimmick is kinda so-so and the music taken strait from the other “New Mario” games is pretty annoying, but the control is good and the levels (though very same-y) are well made. So far this is my least favorite of the three but I will probably still finish it. It's not bad it's just sort of been there done that.

That's it so far. I have Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and Mario & Luigi Dream Team still to play. Oh, also Zelda in a few days. Damn this thing has a lot of great games now. Anyway I just wanted to let you guys in on my thoughts on the new handheld. Feel free to post questions and I will do my best to answer them. :)

No comments: