Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Marshall Mathers LP 2


It's an ambitious move to name your new album as the sequel to one of the best albums of all time. Thirteen years later can Eminem recapture the success of potentially his most influential album? I suppose it's all a matter of expectations. Personally I don't think it lives up to it's namesake. Don't get me wrong I think it's a good album, but for me it sounds much more like his newer music than the original Marshal Mathers LP. It lacks that raw aggressive feel that made the original so good. I know the name will lead to better sales but I think the album would be better with a clean slate rather than the expectations placed on it by this name.


But let's talk a bit about the tracks on the new album. There's no denying that Rap God is a great track. It's easily my favorite of the bunch. The other single Berzerk is a bit so-so for me. It's fine but I don't really love it's Beastie Boys inspired sound. The album starts with Rhyme or Reason and it's sample heavy backing track, which I didn't really care for. The last single is Survival which I think has some great verses but I find the chorus grating. Evil Twin is the closest that he gets to the tone of the original and I think after Rap God it is the best song on the album. I don't have the time or desire to go into each track individually, in general they are all decent but none are really revolutionary. Maybe some will grow on me with more time but I doubt it.

On a side note I feel that his best album of late was his collaboration album Bad meets Evil – Hell: The Sequel. Which featured far better beats and felt like Eminem was forced to up is game to compete track for track with Royce 5'9” (the other member of the group). It had a fun back an forth that was missing here. Sure this is a solo effort but to me the sound was very different and I preferred the faster, less sing songy, more rap heavy album from Bad Meets Evil.


Overall it's a mixed bag for me. I think lyrically it's one of his best albums but I found the production to be less appealing than previous efforts. It's a solid 7 but when compared to the 10 it shares it's name with I ultimately found it to be less than I was hoping for.

No comments: